Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Yoga - Do It!

Like many, many others, I became fascinated with yoga when Raquel Welch discovered it and promoted it to the Western world in the early 90's. She was 50, I was 34. But, hell yes!, I wanted to look as good as she when I was 50. Use it or lose it, right?

It wasn't until my 38th birthday that an easy opportunity arose for me to learn the practice of yoga and I loved it. I loved the calmness and the way I calmly and patiently pushed my body to be even more flexible than it already was. I maintained the practice for about three years and then let it slip away. What was I thinking?

Part of the problem was that I was still very flexible when I took it up and I took my flexibility for granted. And then, very subtly, that flexibility began to disappear. And then I began to ache.

Today I began a new yoga regimen. It is one of my New Year's resolutions, but I'm not one to launch into my resolutions on January 1. It takes me a while to wrap my brain around them. Then I can start. Today was the day. 

The first session lasted all of 10 minutes, but I bet it ends up being the best 10 minutes of my day. Only 10 minutes made my body feel so much better and I felt better about myself, too. The goal is to work up to 30 minutes; but more than the minutes spent, the ultimate goal is to bring back some of the lost life to my aging and atrophied joints. 

Yes, shame on me for having given up the practice, but it will be a worse shame if I don't take it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment